Getting To and From Camp Foley
A Message From Joe, 16, Camp Foley Camper
Travel Options for Arrival and Departure Day
Bus: Charter bus service from Minneapolis, MN to Camp Foley
- Check in is typically between 10:00 and 10:30 am (we will email you the actual time for your session, a few days before the session starts); Small lunch is provided on the bus. Please eat a larger meal before boarding the bus.
- Cost: $75 each way (fuel surcharges imposed by bus company may be passed on)
- Bus Stop Location: Our Lady of Grace, 5071 Eden Avenue, Minneapolis, MN 55436 (Right off of Highway 100, exit toward Eden Avenue).
Air: (Fly and Bus): Fly into Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport (MSP)
- We are able to meet campers at the gate, and communicate with their parents.
- If you or another designated adult, are flying with your camper, a designated meeting place will be given to you prior to that day, as will a phone number of a camp staff member so you can connect with them quickly. Look for staff in dark green polo shirts and name tags!
- Arrive into MSP as early as possible on arrival day; lunch is provided at the airport or on the bus.
- If you are flying in the night before with your child and would like to be picked up at a hotel near the airport, we will pick-up at the Residence Inn by Marriott – Bloomington by Mall of America. Time of pick up will be given a few days prior to camp.
*Before making plans that vary from suggested times and dates of travel, please contact Mary or call 218-543-6161.
Car: Drop-off at Camp Foley
- Drop off between 1:00-1:30 pm (all times central).
- Park in the parking lot and walk with your camper and luggage into camp. Luggage assistance is available.
- In the center of camp, we will verify that we have all of your camper’s paperwork, collect items like medication and cell phones, and campers will meet their cabin counselors.
- Counselor walks the camper to their cabin to begin their camp experience.
- Families may join a tour of the facility before departing camp or visit the camp store; open until the first bus arrives.
- Restrooms available in the dining room for our guests.
Anticipation and excitement will be high as you meet your camper at the end of their session. The smiles, the joy and so many stories await this reunion!
Bus: Departure to OLG
- Buses will arrive at the parking lot of Our Lady of Grace church in Minneapolis between 11:30 am and 12:00 pm on Departure Day – you will be notified by email if arrival time is different.
- Snack will be provided on the bus
- If you or a designated adult is meeting us at the airport to fly home with your campers, a designated meeting place will be given to you prior to that day, as will a phone number of a camp staff member so you can connect with them quickly.
- Flights should depart MSP after 2 pm; lunch provided prior to arriving at the airport.
- If you are not meeting your camper, Foley staff will help them get checked in and accompany them to the gates.
- Please make sure campers have money for bags, unaccompanied minor fees if needed, or other incidentals.
Car: Picking up at Foley
- Please plan on arriving between 9:15 and 10:00 a.m.
- We ask that parents park in the parking lot, overflow parking will be available.
- Parents will be asked to wait in the parking lot until our camp buses have departed.
- Campers will wait patiently (or not so patiently!) by the Dining Hall for your arrival.
- Parents may walk around camp and the camp store will be open for purchases.
- A typical trip, with no traffic, takes about 3 hours from the Twin Cities.
Is the bus trip part of the camp experience?
Yes! We encourage new campers to ride the bus as we start the process of getting to know other campers and staff, learning about what activities there are and building independence during those first 3 hours. It is also generally easier for parents to say goodbye in the parking lot of the bus station then at camp!
What happens on the bus?
Campers are supervised by Foley staff as they reconnect with camp friends and meet new ones. Campers should maintain a calm and controlled bus environment by remaining seated, not distracting drivers, and keeping emergency exits clear. If available, campers will wear seat belts throughout the entire trip. A snack is provided and movies are played throughout the 3 hour drive (usually summer camp themed!). This is a great chance for your child to get to know other campers, lifelong friendships can start forming in just a 3 hour drive!
Does my camper need money for travel?
Absolutely no money is needed once a camper is on a bus. At the airport, campers do enjoy purchasing a treat or that favorite fast food item. Optional would be to give them $15.00 to $20.00 for these expenses. Campers flying may need money for baggage if responsible for returning fees.
When is the best time for us to see camp?
We welcome the opportunity to give you a tour of camp. We ask that you call ahead of time so we can make sure to have the proper staff available and watch for you. Feel free to contact us to set up a time for a tour.
Because of our mission of building independence in campers, we discourage visitors throughout the camp session. If you absolutely need to visit, please contact the camp office ahead of time – 218-543-6161 – to set up a time to visit. Campers are often so busy with their activities that we want to make sure your visit doesn’t cause them to miss something they are looking forward to!
Why do many parents choose Southwest Airlines for domestic travel?
Fares are competitive, especially when one can check two free bags, and their Unaccompanied Minor policy is not as strict. “Children, ages 5 through 11 that are traveling without an accompanying passenger age 12 or older, must travel as an Unaccompanied Minor (UM) on Southwest Airlines.” Most airlines require anyone 15 and under to fly unaccompanied minor. There are also many direct flights from major cities like Chicago (Midway) and St. Louis, where parents put them on the plane and Foley staff meet them, saving them the UM fees.
Does camp use an optional Travel Agency?
Parents are welcome to arrange their own flights; however, we do work with Travel One Travel Agency. They can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org, or 1-844-803-9683 – ask for a “Camp Advisor”. Even if you do not use the agency we urge you to check out Travel One’s suggested flights (below) as other kids from camp may be on the listed flights.
Forms and Information Travel One:
Unaccompanied Minor Letter
Do campers fly as Unaccompanied Minors (UM)?
Most major airlines require children under 15 years of age, who are traveling alone, to pay for Unaccompanied Minor (UM) service. We will email you the name of who is meeting your child at the gate when arriving into Minneapolis- St Paul International Airport (MSP) 24 hours prior to camper’s departing flight. For the return trip, please provide the full name(s), address and phone number for the person who will meet your camper at the airport. Camp Foley is not responsible for your camper once he/she boards the plane. Most major airlines will not allow Unaccompanied Minors to be booked on the final flight of the day to their destination city, including connections. We strongly encourage international campers to fly UM to help with customs and transferring planes.
How do I know that my camper has been met by someone at the MSP Airport?
Once met, campers are instructed to call home if they have their own cell phone. If not, Foley staff will assist campers in calling home on their cell phones and/or will email parents (more likely if travelling internationally due to fees and time zone differences.) Please allow up to two hours after the expected arrival time for the email to be sent.
Hint: We suggest that international campers carry an international cellphone when they travel or a device that they can use to connect to Wi-Fi to contact parents that way. Please make sure that they know how to use it and what phone numbers to call. Foley will provide a device for them to contact parents through Wi-Fi.
How does Camp Foley assist my camper at the airport?
On Arrival Day, counselors meet campers at the gate if a domestic flight, if going through customs in Minneapolis, directly outside of this area. Following, campers or staff communicate with parents, gather baggage, and hang out at the airport until everyone has arrived. Staff board the designated bus with the campers. When departing, counselors assist campers with checking in for their flights, including baggage, supervise and see them through security to their gates. Staff wait in the area until the flight departs.
If you would prefer to ship luggage to camp, you can do so through our optional luggage service. Learn more here.
Who is responsible for additional fees like UM and baggage?
Parents are! Any fees that Foley incurs in getting your child boarded on a flight is the responsibility of the parents. If you are expecting your camper to pay for return baggage, please send cash for this expense.
We have an optional luggage service available for families that would prefer to ship bags to camp. Learn more and sign up here.
What do you need from me if I can’t pick up my camper at camp or at the bus? Do I have to sign my child out of camp?
Verbal or written communication must be received by the Camp Foley Office from the legal parent or guardian prior to a minor being released to a person other than his or her legal guardian. Signatures are required before releasing a child at the bus or from camp. It is understood that the flight arranged by a parent is the release.
Do you verify absentee campers? How do I know my camper made it to camp on the bus?
The attendance of all campers is verified whether arriving by car, boarding the bus at OLG or arriving at the airport. Immediately parents are called if a camper does not show up as arranged. Camper safety and whereabouts is our primary concern and any absentee campers would be of first priority. Our goal is to send an email confirmation out to the parents within 30 minutes of their child’s bus arrival into camp.
My camper missed the flight or my car broke down, now what?
For unforeseen circumstances as a flight is missed or canceled or you are running late, it is very important that you call camp so we can notify the appropriate staff and work with you in making alternative arrangements. Please email or call (218) 543-6161 as soon as possible. On Departure Day, parents are notified ASAP of any flight changes occur or if buses are delayed significantly.
What happens after my camper arrives at camp?
Learn what happens during our First Dat of Camp!