The Holidays are just around the corner, and that means COOKIES! Ok… ok… it also means coming together as a family and giving gifts and celebrating your own traditions. But who doesn’t love a sweet treat?
Growing up, my family celebrated Christmas. One of my favorite things to do with my parents and little brother John was make Christmas Cookies. Baking together was always fun because no matter our age, my brother and I could always help out in some way; starting out as amateur sprinklers, graduating all the way to cracking eggs, mixing up the batter, and using the oven!
So in the spirit of the holidays here are 5 kid-friendly recipes that your whole family can make during this time of year.
1. Homemade Marshmallow Hot Chocolate Recipe – This Hot chocolate recipe elevates you’re average cocoa powder mix and brings it to a whole new level. It involves melting marshmallows into the mixture giving the hot chocolate a wonderful frothy texture.
- 4 cups of milk
- 4 teaspoons of baking cocoa
- 8 teaspoons of sugar
- 1 1/2 cups of mini marshmallows
- OPTIONAL 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract, whipped cream
2. Wreath Cookies Recipe – With only a few ingredients, you can transform shredded wheat cereal into whimsical holiday wreaths. Let the kids help shape and decorate them.
- 1 (12-oz.) package vanilla candy coating
- broken up Green paste food coloring
- 2 1/2 cups coarsely crushed mini shredded whole wheat cereal biscuits (vanilla creme-flavored Frosted Mini-Wheats work best)
- Mini candy-coated chocolate pieces, red cinnamon candies, swirled holiday white morsels
3. 2-Ingredient Peanut Butter-Chocolate Truffles – These 2-ingredient delights are the perfect last-
minute dessert to bring along to any gathering. Plus, they only take 25 minutes to prep.
- 1 roll (16.5 oz) Pillsbury™ refrigerated peanut butter cookies
- 1 bag (12 oz) semisweet chocolate chips (2 cups)
4. Peanut Butter Shortbread Cut-Out Cookies – These cookies are easy to prepare, and they’re egg-free! Awesome for all those peanut butter lovers.
- 1 cup unsalted butter (softened)
- 2/3 cup peanut butter
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar (packed)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
5. Christmas Banana Snowmen – These little banana snowmen are a healthy snack that are still festive
and fun for the kids
- 2 bananas
- 1/4 of a carrot
- Handful of raisins chopped
- 3 strawberries
- 6 grapes
- 6 skewers